Fans were subjected to Icelandic conditions at Huntly Speedway. A stiff wind right into the faces of fans perched on the back straight made for a night where jackets and scarves were standard attire. A respectable crowd presented themselves though no doubt plenty stayed at home given the questionnable weather report and prevailent conditions. Unfortunately rain would curtail the evening but not before we saw two excellent teams races.

Semi-Final 1 - Stratford vs Huntly
47s Damo Hiestand and 15h Hadley Dixon were the reserves for this clash. Regular Stratford runner 72s Bevan Phillips strangely lined up on the fourth row of the grid but Stratford had a plan which was quickly unveiled for all to see. Do anything to stop 7h Dave Moore. The Stormers dedicated two cars to inhibit Moore on the first corner handing the lead to 87h Nevin Shrubb with Phillips giving chase. Shrubb led well but unfortunately succumbed to a mechanical issue, pulling to the infield from the lead spot. That handed Stratford a 1-2 advantage with Phillips leading from 33s Tyler Walker.

Moore was to come under more attention, smashed into the turn 3 wall by 84s Hayden Barker. Huntly were down a car which would become two. Following a red light 24h Brad Philpott was sent infield for reason unbeknown to this punter. Moore was suffering a flat left rear and it was all over for the locals. Walker passing Phillips late in the piece to lead home a 1-2 for the Stratford Stormers.

Palmerston North vs North Island Select
4g Ben Holt sat this one out for the select with mechanical problems that were unable to be fixed under a 3-minute bell. 233p Todd O'Donnell joined him on the infield. Both teams adopted a traditional 2-2 approach with 253p Hamish McLeod and 263p Stu Sowry running for the Pumas and 7a Josh Simpson plus 96b Brandon Symes for the select team. This was a ripper of a contest with both teams contributing to the race. 8a Logan Peat was outstanding for the Select in a block role and must surely have earned himself a call up to the Alleycats. The lead went back and forwards until Simpson established himself at the front for the select team.

16b Brett Loveridge was doing the damage for the select, taking 263p Stu Sowry hard to the turn 3 wall which copped a fair workout across the weekend. The red lights were activated and a quick scan of the track revealed only Simpson and Loveridge left for the select up against three Pumas. With three laps to go the Pumas were running 2nd and 3rd and needed to stop Simpson. When the lights went green the Pumas wasted a lap with 238p Justin Cunningham strangely deciding to do a lap at speed for no apparent reason. That worked well for Simpson and with Loveridge doing the business the North Island Select would take a memorable win to propel themselves into the final.